BİOSİS- Electronic Tracking and Monitoring via Biometric Verification Method Project is carried out with the aim of more effective enforcement of probation measures and monitoring the probationers in this field in a cheap, more contemporary, fair and respectful for human dignity principle.
BİOSİS is an innovative system that will contribute to the spread of alternative solutions in the execution of penalties. In the current system, probationers are monitored by 4 types of electronic monitoring methods; prohibition to go to designated places, not leaving the home for certain periods, alcohol use monitoring and victim protection. Present monitoring methods require more human resources and expensive equipment therefore BİOSİS has more advantages in this respect.
Face or voice verification
This innovative system will enable the effective monitoring of all probationers with the help of face and/or voice verification method and phone location information (GPS) without the need of any equipment other than a mobile phone. Both a web-based software that could be used from a computer and a mobile application have been developed for the staff responsible for supervision and monitoring. In addition, a mobile electronic monitoring application has been developed for the probationers.The necessary legislative amendment regarding this system has been made. With this amendment a probationer could prefer to be monitored by present types of electronic monitoring or as an alternative she/he could prefer to be monitored by BİOSİS. It’s based on the consent of the probationer. If the probationer accepts to be monitored by the new method, the application could be installed into her/his mobile phone and then she/he could be monitored.
Monitoring of probationers
BİOSİS is implemented to ensure the monitoring of probationers under the supervision of the probation officer. The purpose of the application is both to facilitate the tracking of the probationers’ location and to save time and labor. The system analyzes the probationer’s location and automatically alerts the probation officer if a breach of an obligation (breach of the limited area and/or not evidencing her/his biometric verifications) occurs.The application that is exclusive for probation officers comprises; face verification detail, current location information, previous location information, density map, map of related areas, graphics data, scheduled calendar, messages, manuel face verification request.
Benefits sought in BİOSİS project;
- With the present electronic monitoring system, limited number of probationers could be monitored. However with BİOSİS both hundreds of probationers could be monitored and this method also could be used for other types of obligations at much lower costs.
The labor and costs spent on installation, maintenance and repair of the equipment required for probationer monitoring in the present system, will be reduced with BİOSİS.
- The new system is less intrusive for the probationer than standard electronic monitoring.
- BİOSİS shall allow the probationer to be monitored without stigmatization in the community and it’s respectful for human dignity.
- There will be no need to send the probation officer to the location of the probationer for any installation.
- Obligation of making an application to judicial authorities at certain times will be carried out by BİOSİS thus the probationer won’t have to be situated in relevant judicial authorities. Obligations such as not entering or leaving a certain area, including home arrest will be monitored by creating a restricted area on the map.
- Obligations which are not monitored in the current system, can be monitored through the project.
Pilot studies related to software and mobile applications have been carried out successfully.
BİOSİS is used by the General Directorate of Prisons and Detention Houses in Turkey